|Randolph Gardens, including St Augustine's Church||Westminster|
Randolph Gardens, now public gardens, was previously a private garden for the use of leaseholders of adjoining houses. Owned by Paddington Estate Trustees, the garden was managed by a Committee of occupiers, the expense of maintenance assessed proportionately on each house. In 1928 it was described as 'enclosed by palings, and attractively laid out with lawns and tennis courts' and contained 'some fine trees'. On one side it is flanked by St Augustine's Church, which has a pleasant garden. There is evidence of a terrace west of the church along Randolph Gardens frontage, which has a row of lime and plane trees; the ground is now subdivided with privet hedge, the northern part of which is the responsibility of WCC. The church setting now encompasses the mid-late C20th flats of Torridon House.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.westminster.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
St Augustine's Church, which was built in 1870 - 1877 by J L Pearson, has been described by Nikolaus Pevsner as ‘one of the best churches of its date in the whole of England, a proud, honest, upright achievement’. A memorial to Richard Carr Kirkpatrick of 1907 is to the north west of St Augustine's.
Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (1991, reprinted 1999) (revised 1999), p.673; Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928