|Richmond Terrace Garden||Westminster|
Richmond Terrace is an elegant range of terraced houses built in 1822-24 by Henry Harrison, with his brother George as speculative builder, on the site of Richmond House, which was demolished in 1796. The Portland stone balustraded parapet wall adjacent to No.1 Richmond Terrace, which terminates in a pier surmounted by a Coade stone urn, was also designed by Harrison as part of the overall scheme. Of the original garden layout only the balustraded terrace and a strip of lawn survive, the remainder of the garden now set with cobbles and used as a car park. The terrace was gutted and rebuilt behind the façade in 1984-86, and the railings were reinstated in the 1990s. The entire terrace is now Government offices.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
An early C19th plan for the front garden by J.B. Papworth is in the RIBA Drawings Collection.
Ben Weinreb & Christopher Hibbert, 'The London Encyclopaedia' (Macmillan, revised ed. 1993), p.649; Survey of London vol. xiii, 249