|St George's Square||Westminster|
St George's Square Gardens consists of a long rectangular enclosure between Grosvenor Road and Lupus Street, terminated at the north end by the Church of St Saviour, built in 1864. The gardens were originally provided for use of residents of the square and were designed by Thomas Cubitt, who issued keys to the first residents in 1854. The layout is little changed and it still retains a C19th character with barley sugar edging to paths and shrubberies, seating, and an ornamental fountain in the centre surrounded by flower beds. Mature trees are mainly around the perimeter. At the northern end is the site of an underground bomb shelter, now planted over.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.westminster.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
St George's Square has a long narrow garden between Grosvenor Road and Lupus Street, terminated at the north end by the Church of St Saviour, which was built in 1864 to the designs of Thomas Cundy the Younger. An additional small rectangular area is at the junction of Lupus Street and Belgrave Road. The two garden enclosures were provided for the private use of residents of St George's Square, and laid out in 1850 to designs of Thomas Cubitt, who issued keys to the first residents around the square in 1854. The development of the Marquess of Westminster's land in the Pimlico area had commenced c.1835. St George's Square was laid out in 1839 as two parallel streets running north to south, becoming a formal square by 1843, which was open on one side to the river. Until 1874 it had its own pier for boats and steamers. The garden remained in the ownership of the Duke of Westminster with maintenance undertaken by the lessees and occupants of the houses in the square, overseen by a Committee made up of residents. In 1928 it was described as 'well-kept and attractively laid out with lawns, flower beds, etc.' and it contained 'some fine trees'.
The layout of the garden is little changed and it still retains its C19th character with barley sugar edgings to the paths and shrubberies. The garden is largely laid to grass, with an ornamental fountain, flower beds and mature trees, mainly around the perimeter. These are predominantly London plane but there are also sycamore, ash, horse chestnut, tree-of-heaven and red-flowered hawthorn, and an English elm tree (to check if still there). At the northern end is the site of an underground bomb shelter, now planted over. The southern extremity of the garden is an area of rough grass that is reserved for the use of dog walkers.
A triangular garden enclosure to the north of the main gardens is not publicly accessible. To the north of the Square is a cabmen's shelter erected in 1893 by the Cabmen's Shelter Fund. The modern glass GLC Pimlico School, designed by John Bancroft from 1966-70 lies to the west of the square. In 2007 consultation with the local community was carried out by Groundwork North London to assess potential improvements to the gardens, including paths, planting and seats. 2008: Green Flag Award
B Chancellor, 'The History of the Squares of London' (1907), pp.332-33; WCC St George's Square Management Plan 2008-2013; Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928