|St Stephen's Garden Open Space||Westminster|
Formerly called St Stephen's Square, this small town square was laid out c.1850-55 as part of development of the area for the St Stephen's Estate. By 1928 the Trustees of the Estate had sold the houses in the square to the lessees, who had rights of access to the central garden under leases that ran until 1955. The garden had been owned by Stephen Phillips and in 1928 it was described as 'a narrow rectangular enclosure containing a few well-grown trees'. There are notable London plane trees at the east and west ends. The garden has a new pergola and central paved area, and a discreet playground at the western end, a modern urn at the eastern end.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.westminster.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The site is named for the nearby St Stephen's Church Westbourne Park, which was built in 1856, soon after the area was developed for housing. The construction of the Crescent and the acute angle of the two roads meant that the church altar is at the west end of the church. In 1900 the chancel on the west was enlarged. The spire was removed after the war as it was felt to be unsafe but the decision was taken in 1952 to replace this with a battlemented parapet and pinnacles, which were cheaper to built than rebuilding the spire. During the 1980s the building was becoming neglected and it was closed as unsafe in 1991. It was saved from demolition in 1994.
Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928. Church information on www.ststephenschurch.info