Sussex Gardens is a private tree-lined avenue, most of which was known as Grand Junction Road until post-1914 (Sussex Gardens only west of London Street). With Westbourne Terrace it is one of two main axes in the planned development of Tyburnia, as laid out for the Bishop of London by his surveyors S P Cockerell (d.1827) and his successor George Gutch. It is aligned at the west end on the spire of St James's Church. Although the individual gardens are extremely narrow and restricted to patchy grass, privet and shrubs, bordered by a mixture of railings and wire mesh, the longitudinal effect of the infrequent mature London plane and hawthorn is magnificent. At the western end is Sussex Gardens Open Space, a triangular garden in front of the church.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Land to the north of Hyde Park was for centuries farmland owned by the Church of England, the area known as Tyburnia after the river Tyburn that flows underground. It was at Tyburn Gallows at Marble Arch that public executions were held until 1783. The development of the Bishop of London's large Paddington Estate began after that, with an early masterplan drawn up by Samuel Pepys Cockerell (1754-1827), the estate surveyor, possibly begun in 1805 although little was built until the 1820s. Cockerell was succeeded as estate surveyor by George Gutch (c.1790-1874), who modified and intensified the layout, and drew up his 'Final Plan of Tyburnia' in 1838. In 1928, the Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares described the strips that formed a common frontage to the houses on Sussex Gardens as 'laid out as shrubberies'; they were owned by the Paddington Estate Trustees and maintained out of proportionate contributions from the leaseholders.
H Colvin, 'A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840', London 1978; Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (1991, reprinted 1999); Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares (1928)