Sussex Square was laid out as a garden square as part of George Gutch's 'Final Plan for Tyburnia' (1838) as the south-eastern point of a great axis of gardens, including Gloucester Square, Cambridge and Oxford Squares, and Norfolk Crescent. The garden remained in the ownership of the Paddington Estate Trustees and was provided for the private use of occupiers of the surrounding houses, maintenance out of proportionate expenses levied on the occupants. In 1928 it was described out as a 'circular area surrounded by a thick hedge and shrubbery. Laid out as a lawn and contains some well-grown trees'. The surrounding buildings are now of 1933 or later. The plan of the garden remains circular, the lawn has a circuit walk, and it contains notable London plane trees; the boundary is hedge with wire mesh fencing.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Land to the north of Hyde Park was for centuries farmland owned by the Church of England, the area known as Tyburnia after the river Tyburn that flows underground. It was at Tyburn Gallows at Marble Arch that public executions were held until 1783. The development of the Bishop of London's large Paddington Estate began after that, with an early masterplan drawn up by Samuel Pepys Cockerell (1754-1827), the estate surveyor, possibly begun in 1805 although little was built until the 1820s. Cockerell was succeeded as estate surveyor by George Gutch (c.1790-1874), who modified and intensified the layout, and drew up his 'Final Plan of Tyburnia' in 1838. Norfolk Crescent, Oxford Square and Cambridge Square (q.q.v.) were created on the site of the much larger Stanhope Square, which was laid out pre-1834.
Halsey, Some London Squares MS 1961 (WCA); Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (1991, reprinted 1999); Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928