Originally part of Tothill Fields, in mediaeval times the area was apparently used for military practice and there were plague pits here. Terraced houses existed in nearby Rochester Row by the 1790s. Vincent Square is named after Dr William Vincent (d.1815), former Dean of Westminster and Master of Westminster School. The centre of the square became a playground for Westminster School in 1810, enclosed by railings in 1842. Westminster School originated as a small charity school provided by Westminster Abbey's Benedictine monks in c.1179. Following the Dissolution of the Monasteries the school's continuation was ensured by a statute of Henry VIII of 1540 and it was granted a charter by Elizabeth I in 1560. Set to turf, there are large London plane trees around the perimeter and a lodge in the south corner of c.1920, with stone gate piers, and also a large half-timbered sports pavilion.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.westminster.org.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
In 1907 E Beresford Chancellor described Vincent Square 'which is far removed from one's ordinary conception of a London square, covers indeed an area as large as that of Belgrave Square, but instead of the umbrageous central garden surrounded by wide roadways, the middle is a large bare field enclosed by the most uncompromising of iron railings'. The railings thus referred to were erected in 1842, but were later lost during WWII and have been replaced by net fencing. The square is overlooked by buildings that include the Royal Horticultural Society Old Hall, designed by E.J. Stebbs in 1904, as well as ranges of early C19th terraced houses, and the 1950s extension to the former Westminster Technical College.
E Beresford Chancellor, 'The History of London Squares' (1907)