The land was originally part of St James's Park. Wellington Barracks date from 1833-4 although from c.1810 the site was already partly in use by the Guards. The main range was designed by Col. Sir Frederick Smith of the Royal Engineers and architect Philip Hardwick, with later buildings added in the C20th, such as the New Barracks dating from 1979-85. In front of the Royal Military Chapel or Guards' Chapel is a memorial garden laid out in the 1980s and consists of lawn, shrubbery, a fountain and planting in the shape of the Brigade insignia. To the north-west is a bronze statue to Field Marshal The Earl Alexander of Tunis (1891-1969) by James Butler (1985). The modern chapel of the 1960s by Bruce George of George, Trew and Dunn replaced the earlier chapel, which was largely destroyed by a German flying bomb in 1944. The railings of the neighbouring Barracks are C19th.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Harold Clunn, the Face of London (c1950), p. 217; Ben Weinreb & Christopher Hibbert, 'The London Encyclopaedia' (Macmillan, revised ed. 1993), p.936; Simon Bradley and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 6: Westminster', (Yale University Press, 2003) p690/1