Westbourne Terrace is a tree-lined avenue laid out as part of the planned development of Tyburnia for the Bishop of London. Like Sussex Gardens, the individual gardens are narrow, somewhat erratic in quality, but the longitudinal effect of the mature London plane trees and hawthorn is very striking.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Land to the north of Hyde Park was for centuries farmland owned by the Church of England, the area known as Tyburnia after the river Tyburn that flows underground. It was at Tyburn Gallows at Marble Arch that public executions were held until 1783. The development of the Bishop of London's large Paddington Estate began after that, with an early masterplan drawn up by Samuel Pepys Cockerell (1754-1827), the estate surveyor, possibly begun in 1805 although little was built until the 1820s. Cockerell was succeeded as estate surveyor by George Gutch (c.1790-1874), who modified and intensified the layout, and drew up his 'Final Plan of Tyburnia' in 1838. With Sussex Gardens (q.v.), Westbourne Terrace is one of two main axes in the planned development of Tyburnia. Although Westbourne Terrace was planned by Cockerell in 1824, it was not built until 1839-50s to designs by George Ledwell Taylor (1788-1873). In 1928, the Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares described the enclosures in front of Westbourne Terrace 'laid out as shrubberies'; they were owned by the Paddington Estate Trustees and maintained out of proportionate contributions from the leaseholders.
Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928; H. Colvin, 'A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840', London 1978; Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (1991, reprinted 1999) p.686.